As an enabler and a funder in open infrastructure, one of our key goals at Invest in Open Infrastructure (IOI) is to conduct research to better understand and articulate the foundational needs for open infrastructure services, such that they are viable in the short-term and sustainable in the long term.
To this end, in this investigation, we worked to design and test measures that will enable us to better understand the financial health of nonprofit providers and enablers in this space.
Overall, the research aimed to:
- Have a baseline assessment on the financial health of the open scholarship and research ecosystem using financial ratio analysis.
- Identify the financial elements that would benefit from further exploration and possible reinforcement.
- Explore general guidelines decision makers might consider to improve the financial health of organizations they fund.
Research outputs & synthesis
- August 2022 Community Discussion Recap
- Presentation at Funders Summit 2022: Recording, Slides