The IOI Research Fellows program was a 2021 pilot, generously supported by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. These positions directly contributed to our work to provide in-depth analysis for institutional decision makers, infrastructure providers, and funders on the hidden costs of open infrastructure for research and scholarship, and strategies to help advance the sector.
Fellowships are fully paid ($1,300 USD/week), remote, 8-week positions. Research Fellows worked alongside IOI's team of Research Data Analysts to select a research topic to investigate, research, and write-up / share at the conclusion of their internship. Artifacts can be found below.
Project outputs include:
- Can investment flows for open technology be mapped in Wikidata? (research application presentation)
- Wikidata as a tool for mapping investment in open infrastructure (final presentation)
- Wikidata as a tool for mapping investment in open infrastructure: An exploratory study (final report)
- Video of Fellows' presentations (December 2021)
- Project Thoris: What is the impact of governments on adoption of open infrastructure? (research application presentation)
- Project Thoris: The impact of Government on Open Infrastructure (final report coming soon!)