Happy new year! This post is part of a series in which we share more about what we’re working on and what we’re learning. Read our last update.
Have a question or comment about anything you see here? Get in touch! We’d love to hear from you.
On to the update …
What we are working on:
- We shared a retrospective on our 2022 Funders Summit. In this blog post, Summit learning partners Bianca Kramer and Katherine Skinner and organizer Emmy Tsang discussed some of the key takeaways during the Summit.
- We announced our participation in a new project to create a collaborative cloud infrastructure service. This is a collaborative effort between 2i2c, The Carpentries, Center for Scientific Collaboration and Community Engagement (CSCCE), IOI, MetaDocencia, and Open Life Science, and aims to enable community-based cloud-native workflows in the biosciences, particularly in Latin America and Africa.
- We’re hiring a Research Lead! This position will play a central role in operationalizing IOI's core aim to provide funding recommendations and investment guidance for research infrastructure – find out more and apply by February 6!
Who we are talking to:
- Maxence Larrieu, Université Paris Cité, to learn more about their efforts and interest in collecting funding data on research institutions’ contributions to open infrastructure projects.
- Ashwin Ramaswami, Plaintext Group by Schmidt Futures, to follow up on opportunities for funding in the preprint ecosystem, as well as other efforts to support and sustain open-source communities.
- Gavin Starks, Ice Breaker One, on their work to bring open banking standards to sharing energy data, and the challenges with sustaining data infrastructure financially.
- Anna Hatch and Michele Avissar-Whiting, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, to debrief the Preprint Review meeting in December 2022.
What we are reading/exploring:
A list of highlights is below — for a more comprehensive view, please check out the Open Infrastructure Tracking Project (also on Twitter and now Mastodon).
- 2i2c's Principles and considerations for ethically accepting funding for open source, 8 January 2023.
- Megan McArdle's Twitter might be replaced, but not by Mastodon or other imitators, Washington Post, 17 January 2023.
We look forward to meeting you at the following events!
- Digital Equity Research Center's Digital Equity Ecosystems Measurement Framework Report Launch, New York, 24 January 2023.
- ORCID US Community Call: Institutional Repository Usage Statistics, 1 February 2023.
- The EU Open Source Policy Summit 2023, 3 February 2023: our Engagement Lead Emmy Tsang will be joining as a panellist.
- FOSDEM 2023, 4-5 February 2023.