- Version 1.0 - current version; effective from 2022-05-06
- Version 0.1 - accessible at the Wayback Machine
Invest in Open Infrastructure (“IOI”) is an initiative dedicated to improving funding and resourcing for open technologies and systems supporting research and scholarship. IOI is fiscally sponsored by Code for Science & Society (“CS&S”) a US-based 501c3 dedicated to supporting open collaboration in public interest technology through fiscal sponsorship and other programs supporting sustainable open source.
IOI was launched to create a strategic, global body dedicated to furthering a network of open, interoperable community-led and -supported infrastructure to advance scholarship, research, and education. We do this by shedding light on challenges, conducting research, and working with decision makers to enact change. We work in concert with institutional funders, decision makers, and philanthropic funders to better understand the decision points, funding and governance models available, and costs associated with maintaining, sustaining, and scaling open infrastructure projects.
IOI was developed to promote transparency, accountability, and openness in the research and scholarly ecosystem. We are committed to these principles in our research and endeavor to ensure that all information is voluntarily disclosed and gathered from publicly available, verifiable sources. All data collection for our publicly available products has been conducted in collaboration with the individuals and organizations described subject to a review period before release. This data is reviewed and updated annually, or upon request.
The Information we collect
We obtain information about you through the means discussed below when we provide the Services.
- INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE TO US
We collect a variety of information that you provide directly to us. For example, we may collect information from you through:
- When you register for or use our services
- Requests or questions you submit to us via online forms, email, or otherwise
- Your participation in surveys, open comment periods, or focus groups
- Informational calls we have with you, which may be recorded, with your consent
- Participation in conferences and events
- When we obtain information from publicly available websites and sources, including social media sites, which include information about or related to you
- When you interact with us through our pages or accounts on social media sites
Information about you. The types of data we collect directly from you includes:
- First and last name
- Email address
- Social media handle/account name
- Your company or organization name
- Your title
- Any other information you choose to directly provide to us in connection with your use of the Services.
2. INFORMATION WE COLLECT THROUGH AUTOMATED MEANS
3. INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM OTHERS
We may receive additional information such as demographic and statistical information from third parties, such as marketers, researchers, analysts, and others. We use this information to supplement the information we collect directly from you for purposes of generating our reports and providing our Services.
How we use your information
We use your information for various purposes depending on the types of information we have collected from and about you, to:
- Provide our Services and generate our reports
- Respond to your requests for information and provide you with more effective and efficient customer service
- Contact you by email, postal mail, or phone regarding IOI, as well as third-party organizations, surveys, research studies, projects, and other subjects that we think may be of interest to you
- Help us better understand your interests, and improve and customize our Services
- Secure our Services and resolve technical issues being reported
- Engage in research and analytics regarding the use of our Services
- Comply with any procedures, laws, and regulations which apply to us where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others
- Establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others
Aggregate/De-Identified Information. We may aggregate and/or de-identify information collected through our Services so that such information can no longer be linked to you (“Aggregate/De-Identified Information”). We may use such information for any purpose, including without limitation for research and marketing purposes, and may also share such data with any third parties, including advertisers, partners, and sponsors.
Legal bases for using your information
- Where use of your information is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others (for example, to provide security for our website; operate our Services; defend our legal rights; analyze use of and improve our Services)
- Where we have a reason to process the data in accordance with applicable laws
- Where we have your consent to engage in a particular information processing activity
How we share and disclose your information
IOI will share your information in the following ways:
- Service Providers. We provide access to or share your information with select third parties who perform services on our behalf. They provide a variety of services to us, including billing and payment services, data storage, marketing, communications services, security, fraud prevention, and legal services.
- Affiliates. We share information with affiliated entities that assist us in managing and providing our Services, including CS&S.
- Protection of IOI and Others. By using our Services, you acknowledge and agree that we may access, retain, and disclose the information we collect and maintain about you if required to do so by law or in a good faith belief that such access, retention or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process (e.g. a subpoena or court order); (b) enforce any contracts with you, if relevant; (c) respond to claims that any content violates the rights of third parties; (d) respond to your requests for customer service; and/or (e) protect the rights, property or personal safety of IOI, its agents and affiliates, its users and/or the public.
- Aggregate/De-Identified Information. From time to time, we may share Aggregate/De-identified Information about use of the Services or our user base with partners and others, but such information will not identify you personally.
Your rights and your choices
You have certain rights with respect to your information as further described in this section.
1. YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS
If you would like further information in relation to your legal rights under applicable law or would like to exercise any of them, please contact us using the information in the “Contact Information” section below at any time. Your local laws may permit you to request that we:
- provide access to and/or a copy of certain information we hold about you
- update information which is out of date or incorrect
- delete certain information which we are holding about you
- restrict the way that we process and disclose certain of your information
- revoke your consent for the processing of your information
We will consider all requests and provide our response within the time period stated by applicable law and as otherwise required by applicable law. Please note, however, that certain information may be exempt from such requests in some circumstances, which may include if we need to keep processing your information for our legitimate interests or to comply with a legal obligation. We may request you provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity before responding to your request.
2. MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS
Third party links and features
Because IOI is based in the United States, please note that your information may be processed and stored in the United States and other jurisdictions around the world where our service providers are located, and that such jurisdictions may have different privacy laws than those in your jurisdiction. By using the Services, you acknowledge that your information may be processed and stored outside of your country of residence.
We may work with external parties including legal counsel, the appropriate regulatory authorities, and/or local data protection authorities, to resolve any complaints regarding our processing of information. You can contact your local data protection authority if you have concerns regarding your rights under local law.
How we protect your information
IOI takes technical and organizational security measures to protect the information provided to us from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, no Internet or email transmission is ever fully secure or error free. Please keep this in mind when disclosing any information to us online.
When we engage in internal research, we utilize encrypted file storage via Sync.com for interviews and transcriptions. We regularly audit our cloud databases and other digital data storage utilities.
Retention of your information
We keep your information for no longer than necessary for the purposes for which it is processed. The length of time for which we retain information depends on the purposes for which we collect and use it and/or as required to comply with applicable laws. With respect to our research activities, recorded interviews are erased bi-annually after research is completed.
Privacy information for California users
If you are a California resident, California law requires us to provide you with additional information regarding how we collect, use, and share your “personal information” (as defined in the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”)).
Categories of personal information we collect
Throughout this Policy, we discuss in detail the specific pieces of personal information we collect from and about our users. Under the CCPA, we are also required to provide you with the “categories” of personal information we collect. The categories we may collect are:
- contact information (such as name and email address)
- internet or other network or device activity (such as operating system and usage information)
- geolocation information (e.g., your approximate location based on the temporary collection of your IP address)
- other information you choose to provide to us in the course of using the Services
We source, use, and share the categories of personal information we collect from and about you consistent with the various business purposes we discuss throughout this Policy. See the “Information We Collect,” “How We Use Your Information,” “How We Share and Disclose Your Information” sections above for more information.
California law gives residents of California the right under certain circumstances to request information from us regarding the manner in which we share certain categories of “personal information” (as defined by applicable California law) with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. IOI does not share your personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes.