This post is part of a series in which we share more about what we’re working on and what we’re learning. Read our last update.
Have a question or comment about anything you see here? Get in touch! We’d love to hear from you.
On to the update …
What we are working on:
- We released the first report from our investigation into community governance models and best practices. Drawing from a selection of scholarly literature from the nonprofit management and evaluation discipline, this review explores the importance of governance within a nonprofit organization, the key features commonly ascribed to effective governance, and the impact of governance on the operations of a nonprofit organization. More to come next week!
- We share our strategic and research roadmaps to signal our intent, be transparent about our thinking and strategic direction, and keep ourselves accountable. We invite everyone interested to explore these roadmaps and add comments to the cards with constructive thoughts, questions, and other feedback.
- Our Director of Research & Strategy Richard Dunks participated in a fireside chat on “defining open infrastructure in different contexts” hosted by the Turing Way. We will share a recording and short recap in the next weeks!
- We’re at the final stages of setting up our Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system. Using CiviCRM Spark, we hope that this will support us in being more careful and intentional in our communication and engagement. We sincerely thank the team at Megaphone Technology Consulting for their work on this project.
Who we are talking to:
- Joe Deville, Open Book Collective, to explore opportunities to collaborate on future projects.
What we are reading/exploring:
- Arcadia supports Redalyc and AmeliCA in its endeavor to advance diamond Open Access, 8 August 2022.
- Say Hello to Anno, Hypothesis, 18 August 2022.
- University of Michigan Pledges $1.2 Million to Fund Open Access Book Publishing, 24 August 2022.
- White House Office of Science & Technology Policy's memo Ensuring Free, Immediate, and Equitable Access to Federally Funded Research, 25 August 2022.
We look forward to meeting you at the following events!
- Community Discussion with McKenzie Funk and Sarah Lamdan, 7 Sep 2022, online – final week to register!
- Open Work in Academia Summit, 7-9 Sep 2022 - our Executive Director Kaitlin Thaney will be participating in-person, please say hi!