This post is part of a series in which we share more about what we’re working on and what we’re learning. Read our last update.
Have a question or comment about anything you see here? Get in touch! We’d love to hear from you.
On to the update …
What we are working on:
- We share our latest report on community governance in scholarly communications. With reference to literature on governance in scholarly communication and open infrastructure, the piece illustrates critical considerations that relate to governance in the scholarly communication and open research infrastructure space, proposes a framework for a minimum viable system of community governance, and presents key research questions and recommendations for IOI, funders, and other stakeholders who are looking to support the improvement of governance in this field.
- Our Community Oversight Council hosted a community discussion with McKenzie Funk and Sarah Lamdan. In the session, the two speakers and facilitator Dinesh McCoy dove deep into the data brokering and surveillance activities of giant data analytics companies like RELX and Thomson Reuters, and the impact of these activities on marginalized communities. You can find a recap and recording at this link.
- We are working on the hiring process for our two recent open roles. Our communications associate role is open until next Monday 12 September – find out more and apply at this link.
- We are finalizing our year one grant report for Arcadia – a charitable fund of Lisbet Rausing and Peter Baldwin. IOI was awarded a 3-year, $3.47M grant last year to increase investment, adoption, and sustainability of open infrastructure for research and scholarship.
- Our Executive Director Kaitlin Thaney hosted a panel discussion on philanthropic foundation funding at the Open Work in Academia Summit.
- Our research team is finalizing the draft of the first report from our analysis of the financial health of nonprofits in research and scholarship, as well as concluding our cause research on preprints and Catalog of Open Infrastructure Services (COIs) user research. Much more to come in the coming months!
Who we are talking to:
- James Wilsdon, Director of the Research on Research Institute (RoRI) on their work to analyse and compare funding information and the CRITERIA project.
What we are reading/exploring:
- Institutional principles for negotiating with publishers, 23 August 2022.
- Scholarly Kitchen's Ask The Chefs: OSTP Policy Part I + Part II, 30-31 August 2022.
- Welcoming Elsevier as an OASPA member, 2 September 2022.
- Brett Davidson's What Makes Narrative Change So Hard? Stanford Social Innovation Review, June 2022.
We look forward to meeting you at the following events!
- Liberatory Governance: Building Belonging in Organizational Structures, 13 September 2022.
- OSPOs in the UN System: A Spotlight on WHO, 15 September 2022.
- Second meeting of the UNESCO Working Group on Open Science Infrastructures, 30 September 2022.